Gingivitis, which is also called gum disease, is an infection that attacks the gums and bones that surround and support the teeth. Gingivitis is caused by the buildup of plaque on your teeth and under your gums.The following will make you more likely to develop gum disease:
- Not practicing proper dental hygiene at home
- Not having regular professional teeth cleanings
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- A history of gum disease in your family
- Having a weakened immune system
- Eating a diet that does not have enough vitamins and minerals or that has too much sugary foods and carbohydrates
If you have any of the following symptoms, Dr. Robert H. Watson may treat gingivitis in Charlotte, North Carolina:
- Red, swollen, or sore gums
- Gums that bleed when you brush and floss
- Receding gums
- Persistent bad breath
- A change in your bite
- Loose teeth
When a patient has gum disease, our dentist may recommend a deep cleaning procedure called scaling and root planing. Our dentist will clean all of your teeth of plaque and tartar, above and below the gum line. Then, your tooth roots will be smoothed to make it difficult for plaque to adhere to them.
To learn more and to schedule an appointment, contact our dental office today.