Are you having trouble sleeping at night, or find yourself overly sluggish when you wake up? You may be waking up intermittently throughout the night due to a lack of oxygen in your lungs. Sleep apnea can be caused by a blockage of your airway, also called obstructive sleep apnea, or a failure for signals from your brain to reach your sleeping muscles, also called central sleep apnea. Depending on the type of sleep apnea you have, treatments can be given. Listed below are some common causes of sleep apnea:
– You are more likely to suffer from sleep apnea if you are a male over 40 years old.
– You are more likely to suffer from sleep apnea if you have any nasal blockages including a deviated septum.
– Some causes of sleep apnea are much harder to avoid. This includes genetics, allergies, or sinus problems.
– You are more likely to suffer from sleep apnea if you are overweight or out of shape.
– Individuals with enlarged tongues and tonsils are at an increased risk for sleep apnea.
For a sleep apnea diagnosis and treatment, please contact Robert H. Watson Jr. DDS, PA to book an appointment with Dr. Robert H. Watson and our team at our dentist office in Charlotte, North Carolina. Call us at 704-523-7221. Our dental superheroes are here to help!