When you’re pregnant, you’re typically not worried about something small like your teeth. But did you know that caring for your teeth is essential to having a healthy pregnancy? Your teeth, if poorly treated, are prone to dental problems that may affect the health of your baby. We’re going to give you some tips for having a healthy mouth during pregnancy.
1. If you are experiencing morning sickness, try rinsing your mouth with a teaspoon of baking soda mixed with a glass of water to stop stomach acid from eroding your teeth.
2. Brush your teeth twice a day with an ADA-accepted fluoride toothpaste and floss daily between your teeth. Both of these practices will ensure healthy gums and teeth to prevent against decay or infection.
3. Visit your dentist on a regular basis for professional cleanings and check-ups. You should visit your dentist during your second trimester and semi-annually after your baby has been born.
4. If you are prone to snacking, make sure to brush your teeth afterwards.
5. Eat a balanced, nutrient-rich diet to help maintain the strength of your teeth.
Maintaining the health of your teeth is important to the health of not only your baby, but yourself. Please contact our offices today with any questions or to schedule a professional cleaning by calling 704-523-7221.